Wednesday, August 11, 2010

And it didn't cost a thing.

The good thing about all of those creative bloggers out there, is that you learn a few tricks and gain inspiration from others. I would like to say that I have some original ideas, but alas, not so many.

In my kitchen, for several years, I had a soap dispenser - a kitchen pump, from Kitchen aid that I loved. It was heavy duty, easy to use with the kids, and easy to clean.

A few months ago, I found that it was leaving puddles of soap on the counter top and realized that the silicon on the bottom was leaking in several spots. I tried to fix it, but it was just a no -go, so it go donated to the Good Will.

I then tried to locate another one just like it in town, but with not much luck. I was too cheap to spend the money to order one + shipping on the Internet.

So out of desperation,  I bought a clear soap dispenser out of the bath section at Walmart. It lasted a mere month before it fell into my sink and broke. I tried to Krazy Glue it back together, but it was a lost cause. So the big soap container sat on the counter for a few days. It was a bit harder for the kids to use, without that pump, and they ended up leaving a mess.

Then yesterday, I remembered all of those homemade Mason Jar soap dispensers that are circulating out in the crafting world, and thought about making one.

I got my supplies together, all of which I had on hand. The pump I had to dig out of the garbage and the original plastic bottle that it was attached to, a body wash, had been thrown in the recycling.

The jelly jar I had on hand, as well as the canning lid and ring.

This was SO EASY.


I used the largest drill bit that I had and drilled a hole into the lid. It still wasn't large enough to fit the pump through, so I took an Exacto knife and cut a larger "x" to accommodate the size. Then I cut the pump tube way down, so it would fit in the jelly jar. It was a tight fit, so there was no need to glue it.

Filled it with soap, and was good to go.


It's cute, functional, and best of all, I just used items that I already had on hand. It took just a few minutes to make.

Linking to:

 http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/

7 comments:

  1. Turned out cute! Love the green soap in the clear glass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog from debbiedoos. You have some wonderful ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it, used it. What a cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sooooo CUTE and THRIFTY...come by my NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAYS PARTY this week and show it off and while you are there...check out the blogs that are featured...you made the list:)

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dispenser turned out really cute! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks fab! Love the green soap init
    *hugs*deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea. The dish soap gives a great color to the glass. Clever, free and functional. Can't get better than that. Smile.
    Hugs, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete