Saturday, August 7, 2010

Some Curb Appeal

I don't really have any new projects that are completed, although I did manage to clean out and organize my tool shed today. However, it is not worthy of taking a photo to plaster all over this blog. No, I decided to leave you with some nicer photos.

The beautiful plants and flowers that are growing in my front yard. This rudbeckia (black-eyed susan) was originally in the back yard, on the east side where it doesn't get much sun. Yes, I know, a poor choice. It didn't grow hardly at all last summer. I wisely dug it up an transplanted it two months ago, and I am so happy that I did.


Some of my Canna Lilies have begun to bloom. The canna lilies in the back of the house have yet to bloom, but I am delighted with these, as I just transplanted a few there this year. I have tried them throughout the yard and the canna lilies seem to prefer the east side of my house, or here along the North side of the front yard. They do not like the west or south. It is way too hot for them and their leaves seemed to burn. I ended up having to move a few to a new location.

 This is what it is like in the summer, if you walk up to my front door... yes, my newly painted front door, and the newly painted light fixture tucked up there by the brick.   Someday, the exterior of my house will be another color besides that shade of pink!  With the exception of the barberry bush, everything else, I have planted in the past two years since we have lived here.
 This area a long the short fence is a favorite for the neighborhood boys to run around, jump over, play pretend warfare and make me just plain angry. On the other side of the fence, which you cannot see,  I planted some kinnikinnik, which is native to this area. It is not doing so well, so I am going to dig it up and move it this fall... and plant some barberry bushes there instead. Yes, something nice and prickly that will discourage neighbor boys and girls from jumping over that little fence.




I love how this corner has come alive. The aster is just barely starting to bloom and there are a few tiny purple flowers on it.
 Hope you enjoyed seeing parts of my yard.

5 comments:

  1. Jeralee, your garden is beautiful.

    Plant lots of barberry :)

    Sigh, I really wish I could remember to water my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks so beautiful! You did a great job planting and transplanting everything. I wish our garden was this pretty, everything here has suffered due to the extremely hot temperatures. But there is always hope for next year...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your flowers are beautiful! I need to plant some of those black eyed Susans! I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so gorgeous. i starred this post so i would remember to come back and tell you how great it looks. so many different and vibrant colors in different areas of your lawn...i wish my garden looked like this!

    and thanks for the flower info...i think it may be a zinnia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Someone has a green thumb...and it's not ME! Beautiful flowers. I see teach piano...so does one of my close friends...I adore hearing her play, when she actually will for her friends...I think it such a talent. Following you now. Come visit me sometime. Debbie

    ReplyDelete