The first garage sale I hit on Friday looked like they were cleaning out mom's house. I picked up a couple of cheap frames for .25 each and found close to 5 yards of cotton duck cloth/material in black, white and a pale green... for .25! The sign said "fabric pieces 5 for .25." What a steal and crazy! I was super excited. Around Christmas time last year, I made a play car mat for my nephews and back then, I remember buying some cotton duck cloth/canvas at JoAnn's for about $8.50 a yard. When I saw the duck cloth at the garage sale, I knew immediately what I would do with some of it. I had a plan inspired by many, many home decor blogs, and by some pillows that I spotted in a Ballard Designs Catalog. One of the latest decorating crazes I noticed, is French Grain Sack Pillows. I have seen them everywhere in the blogging world, on Etsy and in home decor magazines. I knew I could create the look much cheaper, and put my own spin on it.
So armed with my practically free duck canvas, my sewing machine, a cutting wheel, a paint brush, painter's tape, Exacto knife and some Maroon colored Ceramcoat acrylic paint,
I got to work on Saturday making some throw pillows for my family room sofa. I knicked my finger with the cutting wheel, but my hands were spared when it came time to using the Exacto knife. It isn't my project until I have bled on it, I decided. When I was done sewing and cursing, then began the fun part of painting a design on these pillow covers. I knew I wanted some simple stripes, but what else?
I settled on a fleur de lis... very French. I found a clip on the Internet, printed it out and then took my Exacto knife and made a stencil out of it. Using blue painter's tape, I created some stripes.
The inspiration for the next pillow came from a French song. I could not get the song Aux Champs-Élysées out of my head... so the street name Champs-Élysées, made it's way onto a pillow.
I free handed the lettering with a set of new paint brushes that I picked up at a garage sale... I wish that I had just a slightly nicer set as it was difficult working with the fabric and the paint... oh well. Now every time I see the pillow, I start humming the song Aux Champs-Élysées and it puts a smile on my face. My first year of college French - many moons ago, my french professor taught us this song and we sung it multiple times throughout the semester.
The third pillow I just decided to write "Maison No.23" on it. Maison means "house" in French. The number 23? Well It's for my birth date... I also free handed this one and I like how it turned out for the most part. I have one more pillow that I will paint, but am not quite sure what kind of a design I will incorporate.
Anyway, it's kind of fun feeling my way through this home decorating maze and finding what I like and what I want to try out.
I am kind of obsessive that way. I pick up a new hobby and run with it for a few years, then I am onto the next thing. Just ask that hubby of mine that has endured my many interests for the past 16 years!





WOW your sewing:) They look good.
ReplyDeletevery cute pillows! You did a great job. I love french stuff!
ReplyDeleteI like the Maison best. :)
gail
They look great Jer! So creative you are!
ReplyDeleteWow Jer! I can't believe you PAINTED pillows. You are amazing!
ReplyDelete