This is what my half bath looked like 2 years ago. The wallpaper had been applied directly to the dry wall... no priming nothing... I hate wallpaper. It was a ton of work to get it to come off. There was also a lovely pink linoleum that I somehow didn't get pictures of.Well, we gutted it and replaced the floor in the hallway, front entry and kitchen with 18" porcelain tiles from Daltile. I have really liked the floor, with the exception of the many dishes that have had an untimely death due to hitting that hard floor.
Such is life.
So back to the bathroom.
After retexturing it, and putting in new flooring, the walls were painted kind of a light yellow color. The color was from Benjamin Moore and called "harp strings." I'm a harpist, so a sucker for any paint that supposedly looks like harp strings.
It most certainly DID NOT look like harp strings when I saw the mixed color. In fact, it was so bright, I ended up mixing in a lot of white to tone it down.
Much better!
I love the ocean and am fortunate to live a mere 65 miles away from the Pacific Ocean... just an hour's drive away. I decided to decorate my 1/2 bath downstairs in a beach/ocean theme.
I apologize for the lighting and color. It is difficult to capture things in a small, small space without a cool camera and the perfect lighting.
The photographs on the wall are of some that I took while on a day trip to the coast a few years ago. 


And that spindle post in one of the pictures is of my not-so-pretty stair railing, that is on my to-do list to paint white.
I actually really like the bathroom. The other two bathrooms in my house are a bit dated and need some work, but they are far down on the list for renovations.
As for projects this week, I have started working on my front door.
It's a lot of work. Years of deferred maintenance from the previous owners, a door that faces west and with almost no shade in the hot afternoon.... oh and there may have been that time a couple of years ago when I was power washing and had the nozzle set on the fine stream setting.
Well, that door has taken a beating, and any protective finish that was there before, was GONE in spots. Dry rot in several areas.
I would love to have a new door, but there is just not the funds for it, so I am sanding it, filling in the wood, priming and painting it.
I am still in the sanding portion of it. Nothing like getting bits of dust up your nose and in your eyes.
Hmmm.... protective gear might be a good idea.
Already it is starting to look better, but it will probably be a week before it is completely ready for a grand reveal in the Blog World.
My lame-brain neighbor walked by yesterday while I was sanding and said, "We painted our door a couple of years ago. It works really well if you take the door off."
Thank you Captain Obvious.
What a novel idea. Too bad I NEED the front door on. Taking it off for a few days is not an option. We don't live out in the sticks where I don't have to worry about things like people waltzing in and helping themselves to my belongings... or walking off with one of my kids...
So on the frame the door will stay and I will sit out there and sand and paint it.
And you know what? It will all work out in the end.
I love your tile in your bathroom - and I love that you did a diagnal pattern. The beachy theme is great, too. And I too hate wallpaper -- ugh! No one should ever put it up...unless it's easier to take down. :)
ReplyDeleteThe bathroom turned out so lovely and fresh - great job!
ReplyDeleteXO
Lenore
What a transformation. It now looks so serene and pretty.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the visit and for following; I've done the same.
the bathroom looks great! very cheerful and bright!
ReplyDeletethe door... hahahah really smart neighbor you have there!
It does look like a lot of work, but nothing that has to be done in 2 days, right? Take your time, and stay cool!
gail
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteYou did a great job re-doing your half bath. I love the colors and the coastal theme. You did a great job taking pictures of space, by the way.
ReplyDelete