Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Evolution of a Little Table

Remember the little pink table I picked up about a month ago at a garage sale for $4.00?
I finally finished it.
It was a pain in the butt.
I spent WAAAAAAAAAAY more time on it than I should have.

First I decided to strip it... don't ask me why. The brush strokes were awful and it was sloppily put together. There was no way I could get the little crystal knobs off of the drawer, so I had to get creative.

So I spent a lot of time stripping the paint of first the pink, then grey, then blue - green layers, and finally a thick layer of shellac came off last.
I sanded it and  pulled out my Dremel to get in the grooves, all for a clean finish. I should have just primed the whole thing, did some light sanding, painted it and called it good.
But I didn't.
My obsessive nature kicked into overdrive... in a big way.

This is what it looked like all stripped down to the bare wood.
Nothing overly special.

This is what the little drawer looked like before it was cleaned up and primed.
The screws at the end of the knobs had been flattened and as hard as I tried, there was no way to cut them off , or undo them since the center of the knob was similar to a nail.  So I clean them up as well as I could and taped them off with painter's tape so I could work on the rest and paint around thm.

Here it is primed... ah, that's a bit better.

I might mention that this drawer is unique in that it goes all the way through and you can open it from either side.

Then the table was primed with Kilz primer.

Then spray painted with Heirloom white, a piece of scrap book paper was decoupaged on top, but not without ruining another piece of paper first. Something was missing, so I distressed the edges a bit.
It sat like that for a day or two. I didn't like it. Something was missing.
So I grabbed some Krylon Blue Ocean Breeze and spray painted it another color.
Then I put yet another piece of paper on top to decoupage, and added a rub on detail to the front beneath the door.  It was something that I picked up at the thrift store.

Only  now the paper was bubbling and not sticking and it was just generally having lots of issues. So it was ripped off and painted over again and a few more embellishments were added to the plain blue  top.
It's finally done enough that I can leave it alone.

I call it my Tiffany table because between the crystal knobs and the color of blue, it reminds me of the signature colors of the famed jewelry store, Tiffany & Co.

Here is a close up of the drawer and the detail.
Fun little table, but I spent way too much time on this one. Obviously, the blue looks different indoors as opposed to the outdoors.
This will go in my oldest daughter's bedroom for a little nightstand.
I do have to say that it was fun painting a piece of furniture without using a shade of white in the final finish!

Linking to:
Furniture Feature Fridays

Visit thecsiproject.com

13 comments:

  1. Even though it was alot of work, it turned out great! Thanks for visiting my blog. I hope you come back soon. I am off to read some of your older posts. Fun how we both like Pierre Deux!
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your perseverance paid off! It is lovely. La

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful. It must feel good to have it finished, even though it took a while to complete. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you stuck to it. It would of sat for a few months maybe years before I tackled it again. Just hate it when things don't go right and you spend more time then you planned.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jeralee, I just deleted my comment but I was hoping I could have just edited it.

    Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my dresser and just wanted to say I agree with about people throwing away good things! I think your blog title is great and some people really can't "See the Potential" in things.

    Anyway, this table looks great! I love the colour!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks Good! I really like the finished product with the added embellishments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That turned out so good! And way to persevere! I know I've done pieces and gotten to my end "vision" and gone "hu...not as great as I thought"...but I usually give up and move on to another piece lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yikes that's a lot of work! But it sure turned out lovely in the end...

    XO
    Lenore

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness -- that is the most DARLING shelf! You did a wonderful job!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, it turned out great in the end. You stick with it much longer than I would have.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a huge color crush on aqua right now. And I have a huge crush on crystal knobs too. Love this little end table. What a transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! I love the color. The paper would have looked cute on the top, but I think it still turned out beautifully. What a unique piece.

    ReplyDelete