While I am in the process of trying to finish up other projects, I thought I would share with you one of my favorite rooms in my house, my music studio. I am a musician with a degree in piano pedagogy and a music degree in harp performance. I freelance and play for weddings, open houses, memorial services - whatever! I also teach privately at home, and am the harp instructor at a Community College and at a Community Music School.
For 14 years of our marriage, we lived in either a small condo or a tiny apartment. For the most part, my instruments were shoved up against the wall, covered until I needed to practice, or pull the harps out for teaching.
My husband and I were finally able to purchase our first home a little over 2 years ago. It has been heaven tweaking the home to our liking, and of course a constant evolving process.
When we started looking for homes a couple of years ago, we had two major criteria.
1. It had to have a space that I could convert into a teaching/music studio.
2. It had to be harp friendly. Concert grand pedal harps are big. They weigh around 90lbs and are a touch over 6 feet tall. When you have to haul one in and out of the house for gigs, stairs are your nemesis. I use a special harp dolly, but still - the less stairs the better.
Our current home fit the bill. It had but two steps into the house, and a formal living room off of the front entry that could be converted into my music studio.
This is what it looked like before:
I also put french doors off of the entry. The doors allows me to close them when I am teaching, so the kids can wander the house. I also wanted the option to be able to lock the doors when we have tiny little visitors at our house. Small children don't know that it is not o.k. to climb on a harp, and often parents aren't always good about watching their kiddos. My girls grew up around the instruments, so we have never had issues and they are always very respectful in the studio.
And this is where it is today:
The floor is a Pergo laminate that was already there. It works perfectly with hauling the harps in and out of the house, because it is easy to maneuver across and it can take a beating.
The corner bookshelf houses all of my music and teaching material. I eventually would like to put in something a bit nicer than the press board bookcase. It has also been nice to have my CD collection there and to be able to pull something out for a student to listen to.
I am still on the lookout for the perfect little round table to go between the two chairs I refurbished, that are in front of the window.
At any rate, it is a wonderfully cheery room especially in the winter when the days here in the Pacific NW can be a bit gray and rainy.
The acoustics are marvelous as well.


The room looks beautiful! I really love the color on the wall, looks so happy and inviting.
ReplyDeleteOh Jeralee what an amazing space for you to play! You must be so inspired when you go in there. I love the warm colour choices, it looks really rich and elegant (which goes so nice with the instruments).
ReplyDeleteXO
Lenore
i am in awe of your talents here, that is amazing. that big harp is, really they all are, beautiful. and i had to google piano pedagogy, lol.
ReplyDeleteI always wanted to play the harp but only got piano lessons. You're very lucky to have a dedicated music room. We will have to do this soon with two pianos (one a grand), a harmonium, and a harpsicorcd (along with the viola and other assorted instruments picked up during travels.) Amazing that you have three harps! And now you have room for them! The room looks beautiful.
ReplyDeletexox
Nancy
Lovely space, its fun creating a homey space for yourself.
ReplyDeleteYour harps are gorgeous, I have a cousin who is a harpist,she took it up this year after her retirement.
Lovely blog !
Diane
Welcome. I am here from Brenda's Cozy Little House
ReplyDeleteBeautiful and I know lots of work went into that....great job
ReplyDeletethis has nothing to do with your studio but i can't email you a response...so...
ReplyDeletethanks so much for weighing in on my bedroom revamping! i think it looks much better this way, too. that baby fawn is more like a taupey brown, so i was thinking of going that direction. for some reason i was thinking dark would be really relaxing up there, but i know the taupy brown would probably work best. i already have a lot of that going on in my house, so i was resistant to it!
thats a great idea about spray painting that furniture, but really, the drawers are in bad shape and i need to get something new. i've been to many thrift stores looking for pieces to restore!
thanks again for your suggestions and ideas!
Hi Jeralee! How nice to meet you! I life in the Pacific Northwest too, love classical music and jazz as well. I am so glad that you finally have a home for your harp. It's just so important to have a special spot to practice and be creative. Congratulations on your new home and may you and your family enjoy many happy years under it's roof. Come visit me when you get a chance.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Susan and Bentley
xxoo
Thanks to all! Email feature is located on the sidebar.
ReplyDeleteI envy you your musical talent. I tool piano lessons in my 30's for about 6 months and just could not even grasp the basics!
ReplyDeleteYour music room is perfect.
Penny
p.s. you asked what kind of tomoatoes I grew. I have 6 different plants. Early Girl, Pink Girl, Bonnie Original and a mystery tomato for the large ones and a sweet 100 and a yellow pear shaped for the small ones.
Oh, a music room for a harp player/instructor ... how beautiful!
ReplyDelete