Guess what I found on Craigslist a few days ago?
Why a dining room table... a heavy duty 20 year old dining room table with two leaves and 6 chairs.
Just look at that beautiful curvy shape of the table and legs.
The ornamentation on the side of the table I thought was rather pretty as well.
The table without the leaves is 62" long and 43" wide. Each of the leaves are 18" wide.
1. The entire thing was only $60.00!!!
Yes, you read that right. A table and 6 cane back chairs were only $60.00.
2. I was able to fit 4 table legs, big table, two leaves and all 6 chairs in my Toyota Sienna (a.k.a. The Harpmobile). Impressive, I know. I have loaded harps in and out of it so many times, I am pretty good at packing everything in and utilizing space. I took out the back seats and slid the table down the center between the two captain chairs.
However, on the way home - it was a long 5 mile drive - I got hungry, so I reached back and grabbed a chair and started gnawing on it.
Or perhaps someone let their puppy dog chew on it. Sad day..
I am going to have to find someone who is handy with a lathe. Oh dad - are you there? I have a project for you. ;-)
The cane on a few of the chairs is ripping away from the edge and is coming apart.
Question here for my readers: Do I replace the cane or just ditch it all together and do an upholstered back on the seats?
The table is going to be the easy part, as well as reupholstering the seat cushions.
The bad about this whole project? Well, it will naturally be time consuming, I may pull some hair out in the process and there may be some swearing involved.
After loading up the garage with even more furniture, last night
hubby finally said, " NO MORE FURNITURE UNTIL YOU FINISH THE PROJECTS YOU HAVE IN THE GARAGE ALREADY!"
What a killjoy.... LOL
True, I still have a dresser, a hutch and a twin head and foot board that I didn't previously show you.
I also have a storage shed out back that he rarely goes into. If I come across any more great finds, they may have to camp out there for awhile.
I don't know that I will get started on the dining room set right away, but I was excited about this find and am going to research options on rehabbing the chairs before I get started.
But man - for $60???
The lady that sold it to me, initially told me that she only had 4 chairs. I saw two other chairs there that obviously matched. I inquired about them. She decided that they were in such bad shape that she didn't advertise them. Not wanting to separate the two from the pack, I had to take them.... They were both captain chairs that the arms had been removed from. I will just use wood filler to fill in the spots where the arms used to be.
I have a vision for this set. A very French Provincial vision. Here are some pictures that serve as inspiration.
This card table from Pierre Deux. I like the dark stain on top with the cream colored legs.
And this dining set as well.
Source:Mad Dogs and Englishmen
So there you go. I am excited about my find and had to share it with you.







$60 dollars is a fantastic deal, and I say load up when you see it. It's better that they pile up in the garage, than missing out altogether. You never want to say would have, could have, should have...good for you!!
ReplyDeleteThat was a wonderful buy! It is going to be amazing when you fix them all up.
ReplyDeleteOh you are making me tired of all the work you have ahead of you. All I can say is good luck and will be waiting for the final result and what you are tired of the tile table.
ReplyDeleteThe chairs with my current table have seen better days. The tile top is o.k.... just would look better in a kitchen and not in a formal dining room. It's a little too 1994 - know what I mean? LOL
ReplyDeleteI absolutely LOVE both inspiration photos you've chosen...probably the Mad Dogs one more...is that because the chairs are painted in that one?
ReplyDeleteYou got a STEAL! I paid $450 about 6 years ago on Craigslist for 6 chairs (caned backs), one table (one leaf) and a china cabinet. All I had to do was reupholster the seats so I shouldn't complain.
I worked in an antique store 30 years ago and was taught to cane. It's very time consuming but gratifying. Your chairs look like the cane is in one piece and won't have to be hand woven which can be expensive. Good luck and have fun with your new project!
xoxo
Nancy
That is truly gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteNo Way! $60! You practically stole it :)
ReplyDeleteI really like the look of the darker stained table top with the creamy white bottom and chairs (hope that doesn't show up in a google search lol)
Great find! I love your idea of doing a cream base with dark top, like in your inspiration photos. I would likely try to leave the cane and paint/reupholster the seats then see how it looks. Have fun with this project-it will look stunning when you're done!
ReplyDeleteHi Jeralee, wow that set was a good score! I had to laugh at your hubby saying 'no more', mine just rolls his eyes as I ask him to help me rearrange the garage yet again so I can jam more furniture in, lol. It is just too hard to pass up a bargain, I get that :) Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such lovely comments..the oilcloth on the kitchen step stool is from a store in my town called femme de brocante (www.fdb.co.nz) I think they get it from the UK. It is really good quality and not at all like Mexican oilcloth which I believe is more like thin plastic.
ReplyDeletexx Karen
Oh Jer. At this rate you are going to run out of space quickly. But, good for you. Ambitious.
ReplyDeleteJason, no worries. I will just start storing the stuff at your house. ;-)
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by. And thanks for delurking. We have a dining room table "situation" going on ourselves right now. Way to score.
ReplyDeleteYou play the HARP! Did you know I am obsessed with the harp. Want my Boo to play it SO bad. Your harp has a baby!
Fantastic score! I'm currently on the hunt for new dining room chairs for my mom. 8 grandsons have not been kind to her old ones:(
ReplyDeleteNo way!?!?!? $60??? SCORE!! Congrats!
ReplyDeleteI'm so jealous! That furniture is gorgeous!!
ReplyDeleteJust hoppin' over from Debbie Doos. Wanted to show you what I did to a similar chair to see if it is something you want to do with your chair. Way to go on all that for $60!
ReplyDeleteThe start: http://www.prettyhandygirl.com/2010/06/extreme-makeover-for-wooden-rattan.html
The last step:
http://www.prettyhandygirl.com/2010/06/adding-nail-head-trim-give-me-some.html
Brittany
http://www.prettyhandygirl.com
Thank you Brittany! I clicked on your links and remembered seeing and commenting on this beautiful chair. Thanks for the reminder as to what else I could do with it.
ReplyDelete