Friday, June 11, 2010

The End Table's Long Lost Cousin.

The garage sales were good to me this morning!  I hit probably close to ten garage sales. I picked up this little pink table. I loved the knobs more than anything. The paint job? Super, super sloppy! No primer, cheap paint and brush strokes galore!  Shabby Chic?  More like Shabby Crappy.  It was only $4.00. I am going to give it new life, the process if so much fun! I am not sure where it will go. I will either paint it and put it in my music studio, or put it in my oldest daughter's room.  This afternoon, I put a little paint stripper on the top to see how quickly it would curl. The paint came right off. It reminded me of my grade school days when we used to take liquid Elmer's glue, put some on our hands, spread it thin and then wait for it to dry. Peeling it was the fun part.

Onto item number two.  This lovely chair  is the same style as the end table I recently refurbished. The price was $5.00, I offered $4.00, and it was mine. It doesn't need much work, just some cleaning, priming, painting and new upholstery - toile of course! I think I will use it for my computer nook in the family room.

Last but not least, the end table's long lost cousin!

Guess what? It of course matches the chair and the end table.  I paid $20 for it. I probably could have gotten it for less, the people were happy I was buying it, however the garage sale was a fundraiser for "Relay For Life," so I didn't haggle on that price, as it was going for a good cause. It has some good bones and will be an easy fix. The plan is to turn it into a t.v. console. It's a good thing that my husband doesn't mind that the family room is gradually getting a little frillier.  He just doesn't realize it yet. :-)

So three pieces of furniture that I can refurbish and give new life. Not bad for $28.00!

9 comments:

  1. Ohhh, I likey! Husbands just have to deal with a little frill. That is wht we are here for. ;) Can't wait to see the results. You are going to get me back into garage sales again, I can just feel it. Resist Cherylann, Resist! I could actually use having one and getting rid of few items I don't like anymore myself. :) Then fill up with what I do like. :) Glad you are having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cherylann. Yeah, I hadn't been garage saling in a couple of years. When the kids were younger, it was all about finding clothes, toys and baby things.

    A little tip is that I have to donate some items or sell them on Craigslist, to counter balance the new stuff coming in. But that won't be so bad, you know me - I like a good purge!

    Glad I am of some sort of inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at you go girl. Who knows you will have to open up your own Shabby Chic store. Is it missing the top drawer or did you just take it out. Like your new blog so fun to see what you are up to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not bad at all! I adore that chair! Wow, that's going to be really beautiful. Can't wait to see what you do with these.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting Brenda and thanks for the comments!

    As for the other comment, the top drawer is there, it is just sitting down to the side in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sheesh, you are way to ambitious! This stuff is amazing.

    On a side note, will you teach me how to haggle? I really, really suck at it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great finds! You do great work. (I read through your posts) You know I love a good "save" on an old piece of furniture!
    on that hutch... I've seen people use gathered fabric in the doors without glass. It is a littly "frilly" but if the hubs is up to it . . . :)
    have a great week!
    gail
    ps your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Gail! I love that you are the ultimate recycler, you don't throw anything away and can find a use for it! Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. You are just going to town.

    ReplyDelete