Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Light Revival

I love those projects that can be completed in a day. It's even better if it involves  spray paint!  It's instant gratification. Kind of like vacuuming. Vacuuming the carpets always makes the room look instantly better. Vacuuming and mowing the lawn are my two favorite chores. I like the lines in the carpet, the lines in the grass. That fresh cut look, or that freshly cleaned look.

Having said that, after working on the front door, and seeing how much better it was looking, my eye naturally gravitated upwards.

Yes, up to this eyesore.

An outdated, brassy coach lantern style light, mounted on the exterior of our house. And dirty at that! We have four of them. One is located next to the front entry, two on either side of the garage doors, and one on the back patio.

Yes, something needed to be done and I knew I could accomplish it with a can of Rustoleum black spray paint.

Hubby removed the fixtures, and I got to work pulling them apart and cleaning them. Some were worse than others...


as was the case of this nasty dirty fixture that was on the front of the garage. Hope you are still with me and today's breakfast or lunch didn't just come up.




Hardware was removed, light was taken apart and cleaned. I even took some compressed air and sprayed out the dead bug guts from the areas that I couldn't  reach.
Everything got a good coat of spray paint, including the little bits of hardware, and then the lights were remounted.

Ta Da!

Much better! Cost of this project? Approximately $9.00 which included spray paint and a can of compressed air for 4 light fixtures. The cost to replace this exact type of light fixture? Approximately $15.00 per light  X 4 light fixtures = $60.00.
That's $51.00 still in my pocket.

Fixtures were updated, I saved some money on NOT buying new and they were saved from being sent to Goodwill.

Linking to:



Photobucket  Visit thecsiproject.com

13 comments:

  1. Good job! I also love the projects taht can be completed in a day!

    XO
    Lenore

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marvelous! Wanna take me out for lunch with all that extra dosh? meh, I didn't think so :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so much better! I LOVE spray paint!! Thanks for the comments and suggestions you left on my blog, I appreciate it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another project done. Good job must be hurrying to get things done for family to see:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a huge difference this made, looks really, really good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that looks great! you are impressive- for some reason i really fear painting light fixtures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, they look SO much better. Way to save some money!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you did this! I have those exact fixtures, and I have been so tempted to replace them, but don't want to spend the money. Spray paint definitely did cross my mind. . . I'm glad someone did it and showed me! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is SO on my to do list. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is GREAT! I do love a light fixture makeover...such an economical way to add pizazz to our homes!! Thanks so much for linking up to STyle Feature Saturday!! -shaunna :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've inspired me! I have two fixtures that are getting this treatment this very weekend! Great job. Very smart idea to use the compressed air!

    ReplyDelete