Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Floating Petals Dresser

I am so excited with how this project turned out! Just to refresh your memory, this is an antique dresser that I bought off of Craigslist for $35.00. 



I loved the style and the charming wood  casters on the bottom.  However, the veneer was bubbling and peeling and needed to come off.

I took a heat gun and a putty scraper and removed the veneer from the bottom three drawers and the top of the dresser. It came off quite quickly on two of the drawers, rather it just snapped, and broke off. It was the same situation with the top of the dresser. The third drawer required more work. After removing the veneer, I had to use the heat gun and putty knife once again to scrape and remove the Hyde glue. I neglected to take a picture of this process.

The veneer was fine on the sides of the dresser. I opted to give it a good sanding all over, then primed it with some primer I had on hand. I also went over individual areas with  Kilz Oil Based Spray Primer which always provides great coverage!

I decided that I would decoupage some fabric to the front of the drawers, but was undecided as to what color to use and what style. After weeks of searching, I was drawn to the home decor fabric, Waverly Floating Petals in Blue, that I spotted at my local JoAnn's. Lucky for me, it was 40% off that day and I bought a yard. 

I measured and cut  the fabric  all the way around, so that it was about 1/2" larger than the front of the drawer. I then placed the fabric on some wax paper, and applied Mod Podge to the entire front side of the fabric and allowed it to dry.


 This was so that it would be easier to cut, and not fray when I went to resize it. This was a tip that I picked up from the blog, Mod Podge Rocks!  One thing that I neglected to do, but should have done in hindsight, was to wash the fabric first so that it would have shrunk up a bit.

The next step was to apply Mod Podge to the drawer front, place the fabric on top, smooth any bubbles and let it dry.


Once it was dried, I turn the drawer upside down, with the fabric on top of a cutting board, and took an Exacto knife and cut around the edge of the drawer front to trim off the excess fabric. I initially tried a rotary cutting tool, but couldn't get the angle and found that the Exacto knife worked better.


Then I applied 3 layers of Mod Podge glue  to the top of the fabric to seal it. I let it dry between each coat, and used a damp rag to smooth out any bubbles I came across.  Had I prewashed the fabric, I am certain that I would have had less issues with the bubbles and the fabric stretching as much as it did.

The top drawer got a coat of Rustoleum's Slate Blue, as well as the drawer pulls on the three bottom drawers. I opted to use the existing hardware since I liked them initially. The drawer pulls on the top drawer were painted white to give it a contrast from the blue, and the entire dresser was just painted with a white latex semi-gloss paint that I had on hand from a project I had done two years ago.

So here it is all finished!

I am pleased with how it turned out. It does have a few bubbles here and there, but I know what to do differently next time.

Here is a  close up of the knobs.



Happy to be done with this one, and happy with where my creativity lead me.

Linking to:

Visit thecsiproject.com


Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

20 comments:

  1. It looks really pretty Jeralee, I love the colour combination! And we all learn as we go so don't worry about that, you'll get better each time you do it.

    XO
    Lenore

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! That is mind-boggling to me. I couldn't even look past the wear and tear on the dresser to see potential, let alone imagine and execute something like that! It's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks tterrfic now! Hard to believe it's the same dresser. I like the blue knobs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my god, oh my GOD!!! i LOOOVE this one! this is the best thing ever, like for real! those casters?!? i hope the csi project features this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dresser is beautiful. I love it. You did a great job on it. I agree with the cape on the corner, it should be featured. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the fabric and color! Where did you end up putting this one? Can't believe that is the same dresser. I think this is one of my favorite projects from you. Nice job, and way to get some things done before you go under the knife in a few days. Good luck, will be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ditto Jessica. Perhaps we grew up in families where we just used ugly stuff, and never made it pretty. It's beautiful, where are you using it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tiff - going to put it in my master bedroom and see how it goes.

    Thank you everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore this transformation! If you get tired of it send it my way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay girl you have a talent. Hmm wonder how much it would cost to ship things that you refinish? I love love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jeralee, both of the dressers turned out beautifully! I never would have thought about fabric on the drawers, very creative.

    Another commenter said you are going under the knife?? I hope everything goes well and that your recovery is smooth... for your children and husband too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG! That is the most beautiful treasure! I sure hope you cherish that beauty. Wow! I am so impressed with the outcome. And thanks for the tip about the fabric.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Your dresser turned out beautiful! Sounds like a lot of working taking off the veneer. What a great idea!
    ~ Julie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jeralee I love it!!!! You are so creative. I aspire to be like you, so organized, creative and wonderful. Way to go lady. I especially love the handles. They look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ohh - that will be perfect in your master bedroom. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love all the projects you have been doing! I love the fabric and the perfect lining up that you got with it. It looks great and love the colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I believe I've seen that fabric at fabric depot! love it!

    ReplyDelete