So... I thought I would delve into one of my other creative outlets that I haven't gone into detail about previously here on my blog.
I like to crochet, and I like to knit.
My grandmother taught me how to crochet a simple chain when I was around 10 years old after Thanksgiving dinner one year. She was very adept at crocheting and made my siblings, cousins and I many toys, afghans etc. out of yarn. Growing up, my mother did a lot of thread crocheting. She made lots of snowflakes, angels, and other delicate and decorative items that she would decorate her Christmas tree with.
Fast forward to 9 years ago. After I had my second daughter, I found myself in need of a hobby, so I took up crocheting and taught myself how to crochet and was hooked! Pun intended.
Then 3-4 years ago, I decided that I wanted to take a gander at knitting. So I taught myself using just a book. I knit Continental Style, which probably comes from years of crocheting.
I think I enjoy knitting even more than crocheting at this point. I have also become a bit of a yarn snob. One of my mantra's is "Life's Too Short to Knit With Cheap Yarn."
If you are on the knit and crochet community Ravelry, you can always sift through my projects. My username is harpfingers. There you can find project details as far as patterns are concerned, needles used, and yarns used.
But for now, here is a sampling of some things that I have knitted.
I am currently working on a pair of socks.
And a multi colored baby cardigan. I picked up some funky wool yarn at the GoodWill several months ago for an incredibly good price. Pictures to come - soon.
The following were some bibs I made for a baby gift several months ago.
A couple of cardi's that I made for my eldest daughter.
Some fun socks.
... and just a tip of the iceberg. As the weather gets cooler, there will be more knitting.
So that's it for now. And if this post seems rather disjunct and all over the place... well, we'll blame it on fatigue and pain meds.





I actually thought your post was well written, especially considering what you've been going through. I think it's so awesome that you knit. I remember trying to teach myself how to when I was 39 weeks pregnant. After 4 hours with the book "Learn to Knit," I threw the needles at the tv and proceeded to delve into a quart of ice cream. I haven't gone back since.
ReplyDeleteBack to your beautiful projects - I love those funky socks you are working on. Do you have my name for Christmas? Oh yeah, that was last year....sigh....(My birthday is in Feb in case you forgot.) ;)
Knit on oh talented sister. :)
You do wonderful work, Jeralee, and I'm impressed with what you have basically "self taught" yourself. I know how to crochet and can play around with various stitches (my way). Really, you almost cannot go wrong. What a wonderful way to pay the time in peaceful contemplation. Now that the weather will be getting cooler, it is time for me to grab up my yarn. Everybody in the family gets many scarves since that is all I really make :)
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you've had help around the house while you recover from your surgery.
ReplyDeleteI'm not a yarn person. My mother crocheted her whole life, she could do it in her sleep. My sister stills crochets... I didn't get that gene. :)
love the socks !
gail
those cardigans are fabulous! love the closure on that second one!
ReplyDeletebest to you as you recover from surgery!
Love what you knitted and your mantra as well. I've been knitting ever since 7th grade (a loooong time ago) and it is my favorite hobby to this day.
ReplyDeleteohhhhhhhh my talented daughter. I guess I need to get busy.
ReplyDeletei gave you an award on my blog! here's the link since i don't know how to do it another way...
ReplyDeletehttp://thecapeonthecorner.blogspot.com/2010/09/shes-extremely-versatile-you-know.html
yay!
That is great that you like to knit and crochet...and you do a fabulous job. Hope you are recovering quickly.
ReplyDelete